Thursday 8 May 2014

Bamberg

I am now in the hypocenter of beer.


The circles represent breweries (and not all of them).  With possibly 100 or more breweries within cycling distance I am left with no option but to admit defeat.  Let's make some crude assumptions:

  • Each brewery makes 4 different styles of beer.
  • Each 0.5 liter beer contains 2 standard drinks.
  • My body can healthy metabolize 4 standard drinks per day, but I can only do this six days a week (in maybe 12 hours the sound of somebody in Australia correcting me that it's actually less will reach me).
  • I have absolutely nothing else to do.
I figure I would need the better part of  year to try them all, even with complete devotion.  It's also false economy to try to fit more breweries into a day, as it just takes you out of the game the next day (of course this would be a rookie mistake that I did not commit earlier in the week).

Nonetheless, I have done what I can.  I set myself a rule that I am not allowed to drink the same beer twice.  I found myself breaking this tonight when I ran out of breweries (that I know of) within the city itself.  I spent most of today cycling through villages, and past breweries I would have liked to stop at.  The idea was to be able to cycle back, so I only had one beer while cycling.  A smarter person might have bought bottles at those breweries and then drunk them back at the hostel, but I only thought of that now.  It's possible I liked the rauchbier from down the road so much that I wanted an excuse to get more.

Still, I have found myself in the predicament that I might have more photos of beer than I do Sakura.  It would probably get quite repetitive to post them (and the notes of them), except possibly for beer fanatics.  To the beer fanatics, just go to Bamberg.  It lives up to the hype in this regard.

You're still going to get some beer photos...


Possibly because I followed a recommendation, the first two beers so far have been my favorites.  Rauchbier has a smokey flavour.


The Märzen was particularly nice.  If you're in Bamberg, go to the Christian Marz brewery.







These kind fellows explained to me that you order a beer at Mahr's brewery by saying "ä ü".  This will get you an Ungespundent.

One thing I've noticed is people take their dogs to the pub, or the restaurant, pretty much anywhere.  I like it.


Every time you look up in Germany you see vapour trails (oh noes, chemtrails man!)



Bloody motorists spoiling my exposure.  Or was is a cyclist.  Bah!



Some of the cycling drudgery I've had to endure.  Bamberg is in the distance, not sure how well it shows up.


I really want one of these.  It's a bottle capper with a foot operated lever.  I can't believe this never occurred to me before.



There is at least one brewery in Bamberg that gives you sane sample sizes (well, sane if you want to get through every brewery).

No comments:

Post a Comment