Saturday 14 June 2014

Weltenburg Kloster

Where does the time go?  Well, not a month too soon...

One of the things I felt I really had to do was make the trip to Weltenburg Kloster, since they make a beer I quite like.  It's another one of the breweries that claims to be the oldest in the world.

Taking a bus through the countryside, passing by many hop farms with vines only starting to grow for the season, I found myself back on the Donau.  There's a short walk from Weltenburg to the kloster along the river, where I saw this:


This little ferry doesn't have a motor.  It's kept from being swept downriver by a cable, and it uses a rudder and the strong current to move the boat from one side to the other.

 




Hmmmn, I wonder if there's some kind of trend.


And just like the other oldest brewering in the world, they have a flamboyantly baroque church.



Barock Dunkel.  This is their most popular beer, and is more picturesque than my actual favorite...


Asam Bock!  I was a little disappointed that the vessel you're supposed to drink this from is not actually a glass, so you can't see how fantastic it is.  You'll just have to go track some down and drink it yourself.


A cool thing happened as I drank my bock.  A farmer turned up and parked her tractor next to the brewery.  They then started pumping spent grains into the trailer, so she can take it off and put it to some good use.  Lots of malty liquid was seeping from the trailer onto the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment